Stay safe this bonfire, firework and Diwali season

South East Coast Ambulance Service (SECAmb) is urging people to stay safe and injury free by acting sensibly this bonfire, firework and Diwali season.
The Trust is also advising people to attend local professionally-organised events. Anyone celebrating with fireworks at home is urged to strictly follow any safety advice.
By following some simple advice and safety tips and using common sense people can keep themselves, their family and friends safe and avoid the need of calling 999 or seeking medical assistance.
Top safety advice includes:

• Never use petrol or other chemicals on a bonfire
• Keep fireworks in a closed box away from children and use them one at a time
• Read any instructions carefully using a torch if necessary
• Never smoke around fireworks
• Light fireworks at arm’s length with a taper and stand at a safe distance
• Never return to a firework once it has been lit
• Don’t put fireworks in pockets and never throw them
• Follow safety instructions if using sparklers
• Drinking alcohol and lighting fireworks do not mix
• Consider whether younger children would prefer to watch fireworks from inside

SECAmb Regional Operations Manager, James Pavey said: “It’s a sad fact that every year we know that we are going to respond to people who have been injured by fireworks or bonfires. People can significantly reduce their chances of being injured by following our simple advice to help keep themselves and others safe and injury free.

“Of course, we want people to have fun and enjoy themselves but we’re also urging them to be sensible. We’d also advise people to attend professionally-organised events local to them. This is a safer environment than setting off fireworks in a back garden. We know that some people will still choose to celebrate at home, and if they do, it’s so important that they remember the dangers and take all the necessary precautions.”

More information on firework safety can be found at The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents Safer Fireworks website –

Earlier this month was National Burn Awareness Day tomorrow (Wednesday 17 October). While most burns are usually minor, giving the right first aid quickly following a burn or a scald can significantly improve a person’s recovery time and limit the severity of any scarring.

People can make a real difference to someone’s recovery from a burn by remembering to “Cool, Call and Cover”:

• Cool the burn with running cold tap water for 20 minutes and remove all clothing and jewellery (unless it is melted or firmly struck to the wound)
• Call for help – you can call the NHS 111 service for initial advice on treating burns or call your local GP. In an emergency, call 999
• Cover the burn with cling film or a sterile, non-fluffy dressing or cloth. Make sure the patient is kept warm

An online video, produced by Queen Victoria Hospital can be viewed on Youtube via the following link –


This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More